Medovik Russian Honey Cake Recipe
The legendary Medovik Russian Honey Cake is said to have first been created about 200 years ago by a personal chef to Russia’s empress Elizabeth Alexeievna, wife of czar Alexander I... lavish and luscious, many variations have evolved over time and it has long been a favorite dessert around the world.
We posted a Russian Honey Cake recipe before but this one has rave reviews and nearly 1.5 million views, so we thought we’d post it for you as well. It is by The Cooking Foodie, so be sure to look them up on YouTube if you enjoy this recipe.
The video showing the process is just 6:35-minutes long. You can easily make this elaborate Medovik (Медовик) cake, as it is very simple. You can pull it off even if you are not a baker, and your guests will be utterly amazed and dazzled by the richness and flavor.
Gather your ingredients and utensils together before you get started so it can flow just like in the video.
For the cake layers:
7 tablespoons (100g) butter
4 tablespoons (80g) honey
1 teaspoon (5g) baking soda
3½ cups (450g) flour
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
For the cream:
2¼ cups (515g) sour cream
1 cup (240ml) heavy cream
1½ cups (190g) powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
- In a heat-proof bowl beat eggs with sugar until light and fluffy. Add butter and honey. Set the bowl over a bain-marie (double boiler). Stir until butter is completely melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Add baking soda to honey and butter mixture, whisk. Gradually add flour, mix with wooden spoon until dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface. Divide into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Roll each piece into very thin layer, trim the rolled dough using a 7-Inch (18 cm) cake ring/cake pan.
- Pierce each layer with a fork. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until golden. To save time, while baking one tray, roll out other dough pieces. Bake the leftover dough too (it may take less time), let cool, process baked leftovers into fine crumbs.
- Make the cream: put heavy cream, vanilla extract and powdered sugar in a large bowl. Beat to medium-stiff peaks. Fold whipped cream into the sour cream until smooth.
- When cake layers are cool you can assemble the cake. Spread about 3 tablespoons of cream on a layer. Stack the second layer on top and repeat up to 8 layers. Spread extra cream on top and sides. Spread reserved cake crumbs on top and sides of the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake overnight.
* To save time, bake a few layers at a time. But only on one baking tray.
We always suggest you support local beekeepers and use local top quality honey if possible, or your favorite honey. Just make sure it is authentic honey without added sugar or diluted by cheap sweeteners.
Visit the actual video on Youtube so you can like the video and subscribe to the chef's channel if you enjoy this cake recipe.
If you decide to bake this cake, please share pix on our Facebook page and let us know if you and your guests enjoyed it.
© 2020 Bee Mission. All Rights Reserved.
FEATURED PRODUCT: You Are My Sunshine Sunflower Necklace
Only $24.95! $49.95
Did you know that Sunflowers are one of many flowers that carry and provide vital nutrients that are extremely helpful for keeping bees alive? This incredibly unique necklace serves as a symbol of strength, health, happiness, vitality and prosperity, making it the perfect gift for the sunshine in your life!
View This Product »